A Watsonia-based high school is reportedly reviewing its staff training on how to extinguish fires following yesterday’s mishap in a science class. The incident made the nightly news last night after an enthusiastic student filmed his teacher accidentally setting a desk on fire during an experiment.

However, what seems to have caught the attention of most viewers was the teacher’s essentially futile attempt to extinguish the flames by blowing on them with his mouth. Naturally, the frantic blowing did little to quell the flames, prompting calls for more thorough fire fighting training to be provided for teaching staff.

While fire fighting is not traditionally a hot topic at teachers college, calls are being made to add it to the curriculum.

Advertisements